The ginseng root has been used for thousands of years in traditional Chinese and Native American medicine to treat a variety of ailments and illnesses. Recent studies have proven ginseng has many health benefits such as boosting energy, preventing inflammation, helping the immune system fight colds and flu and even improving brain function (more information). One of the best and easiest ways to consume ginseng is brewing it into tea. By brewing ginseng tea, the health beneficial ginsenoside compounds are dissolved in the hot water, making it much easier for the digestive system to absorb.
Ginseng Tea Recipe:
- Measure approximately 2 grams of ginseng root per cup of ginseng tea you would like to prepare. 2 grams of dried ginseng root is equivalent to about:
- 1/4 of a jumbo ginseng root
- 1/2 of a large ginseng root
- 1-2 medium ginseng root
- 2-3 small ginseng roots
- 1 teaspoon of ginseng root powder
- Bring 8 oz of filtered water to a boil per cup of ginseng tea. Allow the water to briefly cool to about 208 °F (98 °C). This is the best temperature to extract all the beneficial ginsenoside compounds from the ginseng root.
- If you are using ginseng powder, place the powder in a disposable tea bag first. Then, pour the hot water over the ginseng.
- Allow the ginseng tea to steep for 5-15 minutes depending on the strength of tea you desire. It is recommended to steep larger ginseng roots longer than smaller ginseng roots, prongs or powder.
- Remove the ginseng roots or ginseng powder tea bag. Add a spoonful of pure Wisconsin honey and enjoy!
Adding honey to your ginseng tea is a great way to both improve the flavor and add additional health benefits. Honey is well known for its antioxidant and antimicrobial properties and ginseng is known to both improve immune system function as well as boost energy and lower blood sugar. Drinking a cup of ginseng tea with natural honey is recommended for anyone looking to boost their immunity or increase energy and productivity.
Our family owned ginseng farm highly recommends supporting Wisconsin farmers. After sampling honey from multiple Wisconsin farms, we found that Wisconsin Natural Acres produced the best honey. Plus, they had an easy to use website and the honey came packaged in a beautiful glass jar. You can check out their website at https://www.WNacres.com/!